With winter fast approaching, our volatile South African climate necessitates compiling a well-rounded and comprehensive skincare regime to ensure we weather the elements. Winter brings along a reduction in humidity, which in turn tightens pores on the face and sucks up moisture, leading to dry or cracked skin. However, it’s not all gloom and gore, I caught up with Lauren from infamous beauty brand, Benefit Cosmetics to get some crucial tricks on keeping your skin healthy and happy during the winter months.
What is your winter skincare routine?
- I take my skincare super seriously and wintertime is the perfect time to replenish and restore to keep it glowing and looking healthy. To keep my skin clean, fresh and smooth I use our Benefit Smooth It Off 2-in-1 Cleansing Exfoliator. This gentle cleanser clears pores, cleanses makeup and removes dead skin cells in just one smooth wash. The creamy, non-drying formula contains jojoba beads that gently exfoliate your face and rinses away without any residue. It’s gentle on the skin, especially during winter.
- I load my moisture masking to 3 times a week. Hydration is key to keeping skin healthy, happy and glowing!!
- I cannot live without my Benefit Total Moisture Cream that has mango and Shea butter in it…So delicious for my skin to replenish and retain moisture.
- Lastly, my ultimate Eye Cream that would be one of my TOP 3 desert island products to take with…My Benefit Its Potent Eye Cream! This powerful eye cream infuses moisture into the delicate eye area, plus takes care of my dark circles, puffiness and those fine lines nobody wants around the eyes! Best Beauty Bonus? It doubles up as an Eye Mask which can be applied in a thicker layer and left to absorb for a more intense treatment.
Should one still apply sunscreen, even during winter?
Yes! Yes!! And triple Yes!!! The damage from the sun does not only come from sunlight. UV Rays might be weaker during winter, but they are still present and doing its usual work of damaging skin, causing wrinkles or premature ageing. I go even further by ensuring my makeup products like foundation has a good SPF in it to give me that extra SPF benefit (excuse the pun).
Do you have any tips to lock in moisture during winter months?
Your skincare routine has two parts: Daily maintenance (AM+PM) and weekly repair (2/3 times per week). Your daily routine would consist of your cleansers, toners, serums, moisturizers and eye creams. Your weekly repair would do the more intense work with the help of exfoliators and masks.
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you should find the extra time to do your skincare repair routine. The reality is we are all busy. Find ways in your routine that can easily add your skin treatments without needing to find extra time. Example – apply your moisture mask before you shower or bath and only remove once you are done. Beauty Bonus? The steam helps the mask penetrate and helps to give you a softer glowing skin!
Amp up that moisture retention by extending your moisture rich benefits in your makeup products (Try the Benefit Hydrating Primer which has Hyaluronic Acid to hydrate and lock in moisture for up to 8 hrs or even the Benefit Hello Happy Flawless Brightening Foundation with Hyaluronic Acid for moisture, Flower Acids to exfoliate skin to boost radiance and Photochromic Pigments that are designed to make your skin look bright and flawless during winter).
What are some do the top concerns your clients have regarding skincare in the winter months?
Some of the top concerns I have had from clients are:
Q: Why does my skin look so dull during winter? I am still using my same products and it doesn’t seem to be working!
A: Your skincare routine in winter might need to change. If you are using lighter textures of moisturizers (examples lotions and emulsions) that are perfect for hot weather, your skin might be needing more heavier consistencies during winter to replenish, protect and repair due to the harsher weather. Same goes for your makeup! You might want to have a look at using makeup products with multiple skincare benefits to get that extra love.
Q: Why does my skin feel more sensitive during winter? What can I do?
A: Let’s look at your current routine Gorgeous! Are your current skincare products targeting moisture building and replenishing? Water is key to keeping your skin healthy and it allows all the other cells that protect your skin to work better. Lastly, don’t forget that SPF in your routine. The UV rays can still damage and burn your skin. Just because you don’t see the sun doesn’t mean that the attack to your skin isn’t there.
Q: My skin feels tight during winter, but I don’t have dry skin and it looks like my skin is peeling! Help!
A: Let’s help on both those issues. The tightness can be due to dehydration. Dehydration is caused by lack of moisture (water) and can affect any skin type. The common misunderstanding is that only dry skin can become dehydrated…FAKE NEWS.
All skin types can be thirsty. That’s easily solved by ensuring your daily routine and repair products are addressing hydration. Increase your moisture masking to 2/3 times per week. The second issue of peeling – this could be a combination of the dehydration and not exfoliating your skin. Dead skin cells need the help of an exfoliator to be removed. Dead skin cells carry no life, vitality or water and when you don’t remove it, it starts to harden even more and just create dull, hard textured and flaky skin. The moment you get rid of that dead skin cells you reveal healthier, brighter, newer and fresher skin beneath it. Beauty Bonus? Getting rid of the dead cells also allows all your other products to penetrate your skin faster and work better.
Are there any Benefit products you think our readers should test out this winter? Why?
These are a few of my Top Picks when it comes to winter-perfect partners in the Benefit Cosmetics Product range, including makeup products that have extra moisture benefits to extend your skincare benefits all day long:
- Benefit Smooth It Off Cleansing Exfoliator (contains jojoba beads)
- Benefit Total Moisture Cream (contains mango and shea Butter)
- Benefit Its Potent Eye Cream (contains a peptide complex, botanical hydrating extracts and loquat)
- Benefit Porefessional Hydrating Primer (contains hyaluronic acid and shea butter)
- Benefit Hello Happy Flawless Brightening Foundation SPF15 PA++ (contains hyaluronic acid, flower acids and photochromic pigments)
- Benefit Boi-ing Hydrating Concealer (contains Vitamin E & apple seed extract to give you up to 6 hrs of hydration)
For more information about Benefit Cosmetics, contact Lauren @lauren_eng.
The Nifty Attache